Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cajoning

So I was at the Guitar Center today with Jane to check out cajons.
For those who aren't familiar with what a cajon is, it's a percussion instrument that pretty much looks like a wooden box, seen in the picture.
I've heard others play it during worship services and seen videos of people using it and I thought it would be nice addition for our worship times.
Of course, someone would have to learn how to play it and Jane kindly volunteered to do it but she wanted to test it out first before purchasing anything.
Thus, that's how we ended up at the Guitar Center but neither of us knew how to play the thing.
She was youtubing and seeing if she could learn on the spot but alas, it sounded like someone just hitting a hallow box. (No offense, Jane.)
After a while Jane ended up saying, "I wished there was someone here to play it so they can convince me to buy it."
And that statement made me pause for a moment because she wanted someone to come and show her how this instrument can be used to it's fullest potential and with that, give her the hope that one day she would be able to play like that.

Sometimes, our lives are like the cajon.
There's nothing special about it and we hit it a couple of times but all we ever get is dull sounds that make more noise than music.
But then we realize there was the Master Musician who came before to show us how our lives should be lived and heard the music can be produced through it.
If we only allow Him to teach us through knowing who He is, our playing will create more than we could have ever possibly imagined because we will sound like Him.
Perhaps others watching will take note and contemplate if they should allow the Master to play their cajon's after they see and hear the potential through our lives.
I don't know about you but I'm going to practice playing the cajon and I don't mean just hitting a wooden box ;)

1 comment:

little jane said...

I'm going to practice playing the "cajon" AND the cajon! ...if you know what I mean ;)I'm not done with that wooden box yet!